What is an Auction Sheet?
Auction sheets are a crucial part of buying used cars from Japan and are often the first point of inspection when considering a used car for purchase. They are produced by professional inspectors employed by the auction house and offer a good overview of the condition and history with basic information such as...
- Chassis number
- First registration date of the vehicle in Japan
- Crash repair history
- Dents or scratches on the vehicle, rated in severity.
- Rust or corrosion on the vehicle.
- Interior condition
- Any engine noise or transmission problems
- Oil leaks
- If the vehicle has been resprayed
After the vehicle has been inspected by the auction house, it will be designated a “Grade” for the interior and exterior of the vehicle equally a total grade. Details of auction grades below.
Although auction sheets are a useful overview, it is extrememly risky to rely on them 100%. Our team in Japan always check our cars in the flesh, which is crucial in ensuring our customers receive the best quality vehicles.
Tap on the USS Auction sheet below for a deeper explaination...
AUCTION GRADES AND DETAILS
Auction Grade Detail
- S Less than 12 months old from the first registration date and under 10,000km. As good as new. The exterior and interior are in immaculate condition.
- 6 Less than 36 months old from the first registration date and under 30,000km.A very late model and almost like new.
- 5 The car is under 50,000km. The exterior may have some very minor scratches/scrapes and dents. A very difficult grade to obtain. Near perfect condition with very minor imperfections.
- 4.5 The car is under 100,000km. Again, a very high grade. The car may have some very slight imperfections in the body work, but will not need major repair.
- 4 The car is under 150,000km. The exterior may have some scratches/scrapes and dents. The car is in above average condition. No Crash history. May require some minor repair.
- 3.5 The exterior has some noticeable large scratches/scrapes or large dents. They may require some minor body work or painting. The car is in average condition for the year and mileage.
- 3 The exterior has many noticeable large scratches/scrapes, paint blemishes, and/or large dents. Will likely require bodywork work and/or painting.
- 2 The car is in very poor overall condition – Best to avoid - normally serious corrosion.
- 1 The car which has one or more of the following:
An aftermarket turbo
An automatic transmission converted to manual transmission
Fire extinguisher damage
- RA The car which has had accident damage which can be ranked MINOR, and has been repaired.
- R The car has had accident damage and has been repaired.The auction definition “A car which has had accident damage” is a car that has accident damage to the following area(s)... Lower Tie Bar or Frame, Windshield Pillar (A Pillar), Centre Pillar (B Pillar), Rear Pillar (C Pillar), Strut Housing, Roof Panel, Trunk floor Pane, Floor Pan.
- *** The car has had major accident damage, and has NOT been repaired yet. Or a car with an engine that does not work due to major engine trouble.
- A Repairs are unnecessary. New or near new condition.
- B Minor repairs are not necessary. Very clean interior.
- C Repairs are necessary - will have some of the following: Tears, cigarette burn marks, worn patches, visible open screw holes, dashboard warping, and/or dashboard has some small tear or the interior is dirty and needs to be cleaned.
- D Major repairs are necessary - will have some of the following: Several cigarette burn marks in the interior, dashboard has a major warp, the interior is dirty or parts missing. Some dirty patches will remain after cleaning. Needs work.
- E Major repairs are necessary - will have some of the following: The dashboard has major tears. The interior is very dirty and has some major tears. The interior is flattened. The interior has a bad smell.
Auction Sheet Abbreviations:
- AC Air conditioner
- FA/AT Automatic transmission
- F5 Manual (5-speed) transmission
- PS Power steering
- SR Sunroof
- AW Original alloy wheels
- NAVI Navigator
- AAC Climate control air conditioner
- CA Column automatic transmission
- F6 Manual (6-speed) transmission
- PW Power windows
- TV Television
- KAWA Leather seats
- AIRBAGU Airbag
- U1 A dent which is the size of a thumb.
- U2 A dent which is the size of a palm.
- U3 Large Dent.
- Y1 Small crack.
- Y2 Medium crack.
- Y3 Large crack.
- W1 A panel which has been repaired slightly, and is in good condition.
- W2 A panel which has been repaired slightly, and has a slight wave.
- W3 A panel which has been repaired slightly, and has a conspicuous wave.
- S1 Small amount of rust- normally rusty stonechip or spider.
- S2 Larger rusty section.
- C1 Small amount of corrosion.
- C2 Larger section of corrosion.
- X A panel which needs to be replaced.
- XX A panel which has been replaced.